No pact The US prez scrapped the DACA programme, this month
Washington : US President Donald Trump on Thursday refuted reports that he had struck a deal with top Democratic leaders Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer to provide a pathway to citizenship for young immigrants, known as “Dreamers”, tweeting that “no deal was made last night”.
“No deal was made last night on DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals),” Trump tweeted, contradicting a statement by his guests, Senator Schumer and House Minority Leader Pelosi, about the issues discussed at a private White House dinner on Wednesday night that he hosted.
“Massive border security would have to be agreed to in exchange for consent. Would be subject to vote,” the President said in one of a series of posts to his Twitter account. “The WALL, which is already under construction in the form of new renovation of old and existing fences and walls, will continue to be built,” Trump said in another tweet.
Hours earlier, shortly after the conclusion of the dinner, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders had pushed back against the Schumer-Pelosi statement embracing the claim of a deal. Sanders reiterated that point on Thursday, saying: “While DACA and border security were both discussed, excluding the wall was certainly not agreed to.”
Trump scrapped the DACA programme earlier this month. The Barack Obama-era DACA scheme was put in place to protect so-called “Dreamers” — migrants brought to the US illegally as children — from deportation.
The measures, which protect some 800,000 people in the US, also provide temporary permits for work and study. Trump announced on September 4 that he would cancel the scheme, while giving Congress six months to enact a replacement plan for DACA recipients.
The President also voiced sympathy for the hundreds of thousands of younger immigrants vulnerable to deportation.