North Korea missile launch failed
| Apr 15, 2016 11:12 am
This undated photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on April 9, 2016 shows the ground jet test of a new type high-power engine of inter-continental ballistic rocket designed and produced by the scientists and technicians in the field of national defence, at the Sohae Space Center in North Pyongan Province. / AFP PHOTO / KCNA VIA KNS / KCNA / - South Korea OUT / REPUBLIC OF KOREA OUT ---EDITORS NOTE--- RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO/KCNA VIA KNS" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS
THIS PICTURE WAS MADE AVAILABLE BY A THIRD PARTY. AFP CAN NOT INDEPENDENTLY VERIFY THE AUTHENTICITY, LOCATION, DATE AND CONTENT OF THIS IMAGE. THIS PHOTO IS DISTRIBUTED EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY AFP. /
Washington D.C.: South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff has announced that North Korea’s attempt to fire a missile from its eastern coast ended in failure.
According to CNN, the statement from South Korea’s military the attempt involved an intermediate-range Musudan missile.
“We call again on North Korea to refrain from actions and rhetoric that further raise tensions in the region and focus instead on taking concrete steps toward fulfilling its international commitments and obligations,” a U.S. State Department official said
Earlier this week, U.S. intelligence satellites spotted signs that North Korea may have been preparing to launch a mobile ballistic missile.
Pyongyang carried out its fourth nuclear test in January, and had said it succeeded in miniaturizing nuclear warheads to fit on medium-range ballistic missiles.