Free Press Journal

Non-bailable arrest warrants issued against Gilani, ex-minister

FOLLOW US:

Islamabad: An anti-corruption court in Pakistan Thursday issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani in a case relating to financial irregularities in the Trade Development Authority of Pakistan (TDAP).

Another senior Pakistani politician, Makhdoom Amin Faheem from the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), was also served with the warrant by the Federal Anti-Corruption Court in Karachi, Dawn online reported Thursday.

The court adjourned the hearing to June 17.


Earlier, the bailable arrest warrants were issued against the two leaders after they failed to respond to three court notices.

The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) had registered the case against Faheem during his tenure as commerce minister.

Gilani and Faheem had been accused of  involvement in a seven-billion-rupee ($70.9 million) financial scam in the TDAP.

Muhammad Firdous, the key accused, had turned approver against the former prime minister and former federal minister.

Firdous, alleged in his confession, that 65 percent of the money was taken by affiliates of Gilani and Faheem, while the remaining 35 percent was distributed among TDAP officers.