Free Press Journal

N Korean provocation continues, fires second missile over Japan

FOLLOW US:

.AP/PTI Photo

Pyongyang : North Korea has fired an unidentified missile from its capital Pyongyang that landed in the sea after passing over Japan.

It was the 15th missile test by North Korea this year and the first since North Korea detonated its most powerful nuclear bomb to date on Sept. 3.

The missile blasted off from near the Sunan International Airport north of Pyongyang, the North Korean capital, and flew about 2,300 miles, flying over northern Japan, The New York Times quoted South Korean military as saying.


South Korea’s presidential Blue House has called an urgent meeting of its national security council.

The Guardian quoted Japan’s public broadcaster NHK as saying that the missile passed over the northern island of Hokkaido and landed in the Pacific about 2,000 km east of Japan. The government said there was no danger to people or shipping from missile debris.

The launch comes a day after Pyongyang threatened to sink Japan and reduce the United States to “ashes and darkness” for supporting a UN Security Council resolution (UNSC) imposing new sanctions against it for its 3 September nuclear test.

According to experts, North Korea on September 3 detonated its largest nuclear bomb to date, a device four to 16 times larger than anything it had previously tested

The UNSC on Monday unanimously adopted new sanctions on North Korea for conducting its sixth and largest nuclear test on September 3.

The sanctions are designed to accomplish six major goals: cap North Korea’s oil imports, ban textile exports, end additional overseas labourer contracts, suppress smuggling efforts, stop joint ventures with other nations and sanction designated North Korean government entities.

North Korea previously launched a ballistic missile from Sunan on 29 August which flew over Japan’s Hokkaido island and landed in the Pacific waters.

North Korea has launched more than 80 missiles since Kim Jong-un came to power in 2011.

China urges restraint

Beijing: China condemned North Korea’s launch of a ballistic missile over Japan and appealed for restraint to avoid inflaming tensions in the region. “The Chinese side opposes the DPRK’s violation of the resolution of UNSC,” foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.

Japan Can never tolerate

Tokyo: Prime minister Shinzo Abe on Friday said that Japan would ‘never tolerate’ what he called North Korea’s dangerous provocative action that threatens world peace. “We can never tolerate that North Korea trampled on the international community’s strong, united resolve toward peace,” Abe said.

NATO urges global response

Brussels: NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg called for a global response to North Korea’s latest missile launch, calling it a reckless breach of UN resolutions. “North Korea’s missile launch is a major threat to international peace and security which demands a global response,” he said.

UN crisis talks next week

United Nations: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned North Korea’s missile test, and said talks on the crisis would be held on the sidelines of the General Assembly meeting next week. He called on the North leadership to comply with the relevant Security Council resolutions.

US seeks action from China, RUssia

Washington: The US has asked China and Russia to take direct action against North Korea to “indicate their intolerance” to the provocative missile tests carried out by the Communist-nation.