Free Press Journal

London Bridge: Third attacker named as Youssef Zaghba

FOLLOW US:

AFP PHOTO / METROPOLITAN POLICE / Handout / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / METROPOLITAN POLICE" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS - BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE

London: The third terrorist behind the London Bridge attack was named on Tuesday as Youssef Zaghba, a Moroccan-Italian man.

It emerged that he was arrested last year trying to get into Syria, yet was still able to get into Britain, BBC reported. Reports in the Italian media said Zaghba was stopped in Italy’s Bologna city. His mother is Italian and still lives there.

Pakistan-born Khuram Butt (27) and Rachid Radouane (30) — reportedly of Moroccan-Libyan descent — were the other two attackers. Both lived in East London. Meanwhile, another victim was named as Australian Kirsty Boden, who her family said, ran towards London Bridge in an effort to help people during the attack.


Seven people were killed and 48 injured in the attack on Saturday night. NHS England said 36 people remained in hospital, with 18 in a critical condition.

Also Read: New search underway near home of London Bridge attackers

Butt and his two accomplices drove a hired van into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing people in the area around Borough Market.  All three men were shot dead by police within eight minutes of receiving a 999 call.

Butt had featured in a Channel 4 documentary The Jihadis Next Door, broadcast last year. Radouane was a chef who also used the name Rachid Elkhdar and police said he claimed to be Moroccan-Libyan. All 12 people arrested on Sunday after the London attack were released without charge.

On Tuesday, counter-terror officers were searching a property in Ilford, east London. But no arrests were made, police said.