The Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief carries a reward of $10 million announced by the US for his role in terror activities.
Lahore : Mumbai attack mastermind and banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed’s house arrest will be set aside if the Pakistan government fails to submit any concrete evidence against him, a top court here has warned.
Saeed and four of his associates are under house arrest in Lahore since January 30 under the Anti-Terrorism Act 1997. The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Tuesday heard a plea against Saeed’s detention. The interior secretary was supposed to appear before the court along with complete record of the case related to his detention along with four others. Irked by the absence of the interior secretary during the proceedings, the court said “no citizen can be detained for an extended period on the basis of merely press clippings”. “The conduct of the government shows it has no substantial evidence against the petitioners. The detention of the petitioners will be set aside if no concrete evidence is presented before the court,” Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi said, reports PTI.
Another official of the interior ministry accompanied by a deputy attorney general told the court that the secretary could not attend the proceedings due to unavoidable official responsibilities in Islamabad. The law officer sought time to file a reply to the petition. Justice Naqvi regretted that an army of officers was assigned to protect one government personality but not a single officer was available to assist the court.Lamenting repeated requests for adjournment, the judge said the law officers wanted courts to stop working. The judge adjourned hearing till October 13.
Saeed’s advocate A K Dogar argued that the government detained the JuD leaders on the basis of apprehensions and hearsay. He said under the law no presumption and assumption could give rise to any apprehension unless it was supported by evidence.
Punjab government had already told the court that activities of JuD leaders, if released, would pose great threat to public safety and can cause breach of public order.
On September 25, the house arrest of Saeed and his four aides – Abdullah Ubaid, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdul Rehman Abid and Qazi Kashif Hussain – was extended for another 30 days by the Punjab government. The JuD has already been declared as a foreign terrorist organisation by the United States in June 2014. The JuD chief carries a reward of USD 10 million announced by the US for his role in terror activities.
Pakistan EC rejects JuD-linked political party’s registration application
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Election Commission on Wednesday rejected an application for registration of Milli Muslim League, an offshoot of Hafiz Saeed’s banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah, as a political party after the Interior Ministry raised objections over its links with the terrorist groups.
The League had applied for registration with the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) for recognition as a political party so that it could use the platform to contest elections.
The ECP rejected the application after a hearing and asked the party to get clearance from the Interior Ministry which, through a letter, had asked the election commission not to register MML due to its ties to banned terrorist outfits. “The Interior Ministry’s letter mentions that the MML is backed by banned terrorist outfits,” chief election commissioner Sardar Raza Khan said. In a detailed letter last month, the ministry advised the ECP to ban the newly formed MML as it was associated with Saeed, who carries a USD 10 million US bounty on his head.