Cairo: An Egyptian doctor who performed a deadly female circumcision operation on a girl has served a three-month sentence, he and a lawyer said today, in a first since a 2008 ban. Raslan Fadl had been sentenced in January 2015 to two years in prison for involuntary manslaughter and an additional three months for practising female genital mutilation (FGM).
He remained free, however, until his arrest last April, said lawyer Reda el-Danbouki, who had pursued the case against Fadl.
“He began the sentence on April 2 and was released on July 2,” said Danbouki, the executive director for the Women’s Centre for Guidance and Legal Awareness in Egypt. Fadl, who denies that he performed the operation, told AFP that he had served a three-month sentence.
He said the two-year sentence by a court in the Nile Delta province of Mansoura had been suspended after he “reconciled” with the family of the 14-year-old girl who died during the operation. “Go to the court and you’ll find the sentence has been suspended,” he said in a phone interview.
“There was a reconciliation with the girl’s father and there is no problem now,” he said, adding that the sentence was under appeal.