Celebrity chef, Maria Goretti is best known for her scrumptious recipes. This Mother’s Day she whipped up some quick fixes for all the moms in a hurry and made the activity of cooking or preparing tiffin a tad bit easy for them.
The event was held at Mount Litera School International where Maria introduced mothers to healthy alternatives for snacks that were tasty yet nutritious. Some of her interesting creations included Ragi pan cakes made of Ragi flour, eggs, curd and milk giving a healthy twist to the regular flour based pancakes. Another unique substitute she presented was whipped soy cream as opposed to regular and calorie laden whipped cream.
After the session, Ms. Goretti also judged a contest for mothers to cook nutritious recipes from select ingredients. The contest saw excited mothers make some delectable treats and show off their cooking prowess.
Sharing her thoughts on mother’s day initiative, celebrity chef, Maria Goretti said, “I am really happy to be associated with Mount Litera School International for this event. I feel that as parents and mothers we are constantly battling huge advertising that tell kids how eating chips is so much fun or how a big dollop of sauce is going to make their food even more tastier; basically promoting packaged food over fresh food that we mums so painstakingly make. Hence, I think this initiative on Mother’s Day where we pull in all our resources and try and help each other out for making food healthy for our kids is really great to be associated with.”
Here are some secrets straight from Maria’s kitchen.
1. Ragi pancakes with mushrooms
For the pancakes
Ragi – 1/2 cup
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
Egg – 1
Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
• Mix all the dry ingredients together and leave it aside for 20 minutes.
• Mix the egg with the yoghurt and add to the dry mix.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Spray a non-stick heated pan with vegetable oil.
• Spoon out a tablespoon of the batter on to it and cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes each or till done.
For the mushrooms
Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic – 5-6 cloves, finely chopped Mushrooms – 100g, sliced
Chilli flakes – 1/4 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Yoghurt – 1 tbsp
• In a heated non-stick pan, add the vegetable oil.
• When the oil heats up a little, add garlic and then after some time, add the sliced mushrooms.
• After the mushrooms are cooked and the water released dries up a bit, add the chilli flakes and the mustard. Give it all a good stir.
• Take it off the fire and then add the yoghurt.
• Spoon it on to the ragi pancakes and serve.
2. Mini lamb burgers
Lamb – 500g, minced
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Garlic – 6 cloves, chopped
Stale bread slices – 4
Lime – One and a half
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Breadcrumbs – 200g, to coat the lamb patties
• Mix all the ingredients together, except for the breadcrumbs.
• Let the mixture rest for about 20 minutes and then shape them into palm-sized flattened disks.
• Press them into the breadcrumbs so that they are completely covered.
• In a non-stick pan, fry them in a good swirl of vegetable oil for about 20 minutes each or till they are cooked.
• Just before you take them off the pan, add some cheese on it, so that it melts.
• Encase them in soft buns, with tomatoes, onions and gherkins and serve with ketchup.