Toronto : Canadian company BlackBerry may lauch a second high-end Android smartphone in 2016, its CEO John Chen has hinted, says IANS.
According to a report in softpedia.com, Chen said if BlackBerry PRIV – the first BlackBerry smartphone powered by Android — does better, “we will focus on the high-end, probably closer to mid-range, coming out in 2016.”
The Canadian mobile technology firm reported a nearly 12 percent bump in revenue in its latest quarter. As for BlackBerry PRIV sales, the CEO said the results are good so far. It means that BlackBerry may take into consideration a slightly cheaper Android smartphone for next year.
In the three months ending November 28, BlackBerry reported global revenue of $548 million, up 11.8 percent from the previous quarter, Digital Trends reported. This marked the first time in two years that the company reported two consecutive quarters of positive revenue growth.
BlackBerry PRIV is only available in four countries at the moment. BlackBerry is planning to launch the smartphone in 31 regions in the next three months.