Ujjain: The city’s social activist Bakirali Ranwala’s 20-year-old effort demanding a total ban on the use of red and yellow beacons by administrative officers and ministers has finally borne fruit. Come May 1st, this facility will now be the privilege of only the President, Vice President, the Prime Minister, the Lok Sabha Speaker and the Chief Justice of India as per the orders issued by the Prime Minister.
President of Manthan Parmarthik group, Bakirali had filed a petition at Jabalpur High Court in 1994 citing the illegal use of these facilities. During the hearing of his petition at the Jabalpur High Court in 1994, he had presented the example of a murder that took place in Mumbai, when a red-beaconed car of the then Mumbai mayor was used by the accused. In later years, he continuously fought for the cause and filed a public interest litigation (PIL) before the Indore bench.
- 52 people killed in Kazakhstan bus fire
- Jammu and Kashmir: BSF jawan, teen girl killed in ceasefire violation by Pakistan in BoPs
- WOW! Taapsee Pannu turns leading lady for Anurag Kashyap’s ‘Womaniya’
- Filmfare Awards 2018: Here is the complete list of nominations
- Shiv Sena asks Modi, Shah to clarify Togadia’s claims