Free Press Journal
  • Russia blames Israel for its Il-20 aircraft crash

    Moscow: Russia on Tuesday held Israel “fully responsible” for the shooting down of an Ilyushin Il-20 aircraft, killing 14 Russian servicemen on board, in Syria on Monday. Russia’s Defence Minister Sergey Shoygu, who earlier in the day held discussions with his Israeli counterpart, said Israel is “fully responsible” for the aircraft crash, reported Sputnik.

  • Israel launches missile attack on Damascus airport, Syria responds with projectiles in retaliation

    Jerusalem: The Syrian state media has said that Israeli missiles targetted the Damascus International Airport on Saturday, with the Syrian military launching projectiles in retaliation. “Our air defence systems thwarted an Israeli missile aggression, shooting down a number of enemy missiles,” SANA news agency quoted a military source as saying, citing The Jerusalem Post.

  • Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan warns of ‘massacre’ in Syria’s Idlib

    Istanbul: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned that dropping bombs and missiles on Syria’s last rebel-held province of Idlib could cause a “massacre,” in remarks published Wednesday. “God forbid, a serious massacre could take place if there is a rain of missiles there,” Erdogan told journalists on his plane after an official visit to the Central Asian state of Kyrgystan, Hurriyet daily reported.

  • Over 50 killed in IS suicide attack in Syria

    Damascus: More than 50 people were killed on Wednesday in a series of suicide bombings and gun attacks claimed by the Islamic State terror group on government-held parts of south-western Syria. The attacks took place in and around the government-held city of Suweida. The IS claimed the attacks via its outlet on the messaging app Telegram.

  • 40 dead in Syria due to suicide attacks carried out by ISIS

    Beirut: A string of suicide attacks in Syria by the Islamic State group has killed at least 40 people, mostly pro-regime fighters, in one of the jihadists’ deadliest operations in months, a war monitor said today. “Three bombers with explosive belts targeted Sweida city alone, while the other blasts hit villages to the north and east,” said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

  • Evacuations begin from besieged pro-regime Syria towns

    Suwaghiya (Syria): Buses began evacuating fighters and civilians from two besieged pro-regime towns in Syria early this morning under a deal that will allow thousands to leave after three years of encirclement.

  • Air strikes kill 7 civilians in southern Syria: Monitor

    Beirut: Air strikes today killed seven civilians in a sensitive southwestern province of Syria bordering the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, a war monitor said.  The Damascus regime has been pounding Quneitra since Sunday in a bid to retake the southwestern province from rebels, after winning back most of the neighbouring governorate of Daraa in less than a month.

  • Lindsay Lohan plans to adopt first child

    Los Angeles: After bonding with Syrian refugees in Turkey, actress Lindsay Lohan has developed a desire to adopt her first child. The 32-year-old actress discussed her wish to have a family someday, which has been fuelled by trips to Turkey where she spent time with Syrian refugees, reports aceshowbiz.com.

  • IS releases picture of Baghdadi’s slain son brandishing rifle

    Kabul: The Islamic State (IS) in Afghanistan and Pakistan released a picture of its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s son Hudhayfah al-Badri, who was killed in an operation in Syria earlier this month.

  • Revealed: Tiger Shroff to START prep for BAAGHI 3 and here are the details

    The success of Baaghi and Baaghi 2, not surprisingly, has prompted the makers to take the franchise ahead with the third instalment. Not just that! Even amidst all his other commitments, Tiger Shroff will be taking time out for Baaghi 3. The actor is all set to take his action level yet again to another level. And this time, the prep will involve military boot camp training in Syria.

  • Tens of thousands return home after south Syria ceasefire deal

    Beirut : Tens of thousands have returned to their homes in southern Syria since a ceasefire deal between regime ally Russia and rebels to end more than two weeks of deadly bombardment, a monitor said on Sunday.

  • Rape capital doesn’t need ostrich approach

    You read with a mixture of alarm and scepticism, the poll report by the London-based Thomson Reuters Foundation that India is the most dangerous country in the world for women, beating Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

  • Eight killed as bombings intensify in Syria

    Damascus: At least eight civilians, including three minors, were killed by pro-government bombings in southern Syria, a region of the war-torn nation that has seen a surge in violence in recent days, according to activists on Wednesday.

  • migrants

    UN warns of critical Syria refugee budget shortfall

    Amman: The United Nations made an “urgent and critical” appeal today for donations to its main aid budget for Syrian refugees, currently four-fifths short of the total needed for the year.

  • French President Emmanuel Macron to visit Russia on May 24

    Paris : French President Emmanuel Macron is scheduled to pay a two-day visit to Russia, commencing on May 24. The two leaders are set to discuss Iran, Syria and Ukraine during their meeting, the Kremlin said.

  • Israeli army says has hit ‘dozens’ of Iranian military targets in Syria

    Jerusalem: Israel’s army said today it hit dozens of Iranian military targets in Syria overnight after rocket and missile fire toward its forces it blamed on Iran, marking a sharp escalation in tensions.  “The (Israeli military) has struck dozens of Iranian military targets in Syria,” Israeli military spokesman Jonathan Conricus told journalists.

  • Syria Crisis: Mission unaccomplished

    It’s anyone’s guess why the French president, Emmanuel Macron, takes such pride in claiming to have persuaded Donald Trump to keep US forces in Syria for the “long term”. Mr Trump himself declared “mission accomplished” while his defence secretary, James Mattis, called the 105 missile strikes against three targets near Damascus and Homs which the US, Britain and France say housed chemical weapons facilities a “one-time shot.”