Free Press Journal
  • Goa initiates clearance of mining leases 

    Panaji : The state mines department has moved a file clearing ten mining leases, initiating a major step to resume mining operations halted for last two years in Goa.

  • Cong needs drastic changes

    The BJP is jubilant after its spectacular success in Maharashtra and Haryana Assembly polls this week. Coming as it does on the heels of the recent impressive Lok Sabha victory, the BJP can claim that the momentum as well as the Modi magic is intact.

  • Governor Mohammed Fazal

    Goa Assembly’s one-day session begins

    Panaji:  Goa Legislative Assembly today condoled the death of noted personalities from various fields, including the state’s former Governor Mohammed Fazal who died last month.

  • Luizinho Faleiro

    Perform or perish, Goa Congress told

    Panaji:  The Congress in Goa has to perform or perish, newly appointed state president Luizinho Faleiro said Tuesday.

  • BJP, Cong tussle over closing Goa casinos

    Panaji : Whether to shut down casinos in Goa on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, has become a point of tussle between the ruling BJP and the Congress in the state.

  • ‘100% subsidising of loans of mining-dependent not possible’

    Panaji : The Goa government has said it would not take over the loans taken by those who are dependent on the mining industry, despite demands from some quarters. “We have offered a scheme whereby 35 per cent of the one-time loan settlement amount is paid to the borrower. Some of them are demanding that the government should take care of the rest 65 per cent (too).

  • Relax, no prohibition in Goa

    Panaji: Prohibition cannot come in Goa because drinking is part of Goa’s culture, BJP state vice-president Wilfred Mesquita said on Friday.  “Prohibition cannot come to Goa… because Goa’s culture is to drink,” Mesquita said, when asked if Goa should go the Kerala way and prohibit alcohol.  Mesquita said that alcohol was a liberal accompainment to weddings and other social occasions in Goa.

  • Wanchoo is quizzed, quits as Goa Governor

    PANJIM :  Goa Governor BV Wanchoo has resigned, hours after he was questioned by the Central Bureau of Investigation as a witness in connection with alleged irregularities in the purchase of 12 helicopters from Agusta Westland.

  • Drinking will be banned, not bikinis on Goa beaches: Parrikar

    Bikinis will not be banned from Goa’s beaches, but drinking alcohol in public and on the state’s popular beaches will not be tolerated, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said Wednesday, while defending a cabinet minister who has demanded a ban on revealing clothes in pubs.
    “You cannot ban bikinis on beaches. But we will have to crack down on drinking in open areas, especially beaches,” Parrikar told a press conference Wednesday.

  • Tourism minister Naik says no to off shore casinos

    Panaji: In what can spell further trouble for the off shore casino industry in Goa, Union Minister for Tourism (independent charge) Sripad Naik has said “he is against the off shore casinos.”

  • Cong MP against some RTE rules implemented in Goa schools

    Panaji: A senior Congress leader from Goa today appealed to the BJP-led state government not to implement certain rules of Right to Education (RTE) Act, which
    was passed by the UPA government.

  • Swedish tourist found dead in Goa

    Panaji: A Swedish tourist was found dead in a room at Arambol beach here this morning, police said.

  • Goa govt to subsidise 3 additional LPG cylinders

    Panaji: BJP-led Goa government has decided to subsidise three more LPG cylinders for the people in addition to the six cylinders subsidised by the Union government.