Free Press Journal
  • 1993 Mumbai blasts: Advani’s assurance to Portugal helped Abu Salem escape death penalty

    Mumbai: It would not be wrong to say that extradited gangster Abu Salem escaped the gallows only because of the ‘assurance’ given by the then deputy Prime Minister, L. K. Advani, to the Republic of Portugal. It is on this assurance and the ‘pride and prestige’ of India, the special TADA court handed a life sentence to Salem, despite the fact that he was convicted for offences that attracted death penalty.

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts: Riyaz Siddiqui’s fate still hangs in balance

    Mumbai: Though Riyaz Siddiqui has been given a relatively mild punishment of only 10 years, he still has the dangling sword of death sentence, over him. The special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) court that handed over the mild punishment to him on Friday, has already convicted him in a separate case, under murder charges, last week. The special court is likely to pronounce its judgment in that case on

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts: 24 years later: Justice delayed is justice denied

    Mumbai: 257 people died and 713 injured is the basic data available of 1993 serial blast case. However, the list submitted by Central Bureau of Investigations (CBI) shows 232 dead and 638 injured. Over this difference in number, especially, the court said, CBI will be given 15 days to submit the exact number of injured and their details.

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts: Abu Salem to move Lisbon court to seek ‘justice’

    Mumbai: From the minute he entered the court, Abu Salem was in constant dialogue with his lawyers to put forth his point. Compared to other convicts, Salem was rather boisterous on the day his fate hanged in balance. He was calm and composed after hearing the lifetime punishment awarded to him by the special court. This calmness was obvious as he had by then, planned to approach the Lisbon Court and challenge

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts: Convicts’ kin disappointed with verdict

    Mumbai: Expressing disappointment over the landmark ruling of the special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) court, the family members and relatives of the convicts in the 1993 blasts case,on Thursday said that they would soon move the Supreme Court.

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts: This is not closure as some are still absconding: Deepak Salvi

    Mumbai: After 24 years, the 1993 serial blasts case has reached its conclusion after Judge Govind Sanap, the special judge for TADA court, pronounced sentence for the five accused in the second part of the trial. Speaking with Neeta Kolhatkar of the Free Press Journal, Special Public Prosecutor Deepak Salvi, the man behind the second part of 1993 trial, emphasises that the sentence is crucial, especially, in the case of

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Abu Salem and Monica Bedi’s intriguing love story

    Mumbai court awarded life imprisonment to extradited gangster Abu Salem in the 1993 serial blasts case for his heinous crime. He has a very dark history related and even has had a very colourful life. As with most gangsters, he also had a Bollywood connection, having been in a relationship with Monica Bedi.

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts in pictures: This is what happened on March 12, 24 years ago

    A Special TADA Court on Thursday awarded the death penalty to two convicts, life sentences to two others, including gangster Abu Salem, while giving 10 years jail to one accused in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case. Special Judge G.A. Sanap pronounced the death verdicts on convicts Mohammed Taher Merchant and Feroze Khan for their role in the blasts, said Special Public Prosecutor Deepak Salve.

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Tahir Merchant, Feroz Khan get death, Abu Salem gets life

    Mumbai: A Mumbai court today awarded death sentence to Tahir Merchant and Firoz Abdul Rashid Khan and life imprisonment to extradited gangster Abu Salem in the 1993 serial blasts case. Besides Salem, the court also sentenced Karimullah Khan to life imprisonment in the case while awarding 10 years’ sentence to the fifth convict, Riyaz Siddiqui.

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts convict held guilty in builder murder case

    Mumbai: A special TADA court today convicted Riyz Siddiqui in connection with the 1995 murder case of city-based builder Pradeep Jain. Siddiqui is also convicted in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, sentencing for which is likely to take place on September 7. “The court has convicted Siddiqui,” said special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.

  • Mumbai: Maha govt justifies Sanjay Dutt’s early release, files affidavit in Bombay HC

    Mumbai: The Maharashtra Government on Monday presented an affidavit at the Bombay High Court justifying its decision of early release of Sanjay Dutt, an accused in the 1993 Bombay blasts case. The state government presented a calculation of his remission and mentioned that all prison rules were followed.

  • 1993 Mumbai blasts convict fined for wasting court’s time

    Mumbai: The special Terrorist and Destructive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) court on Wednesday imposed a fine of Rs 2000 on a 1993 bomb blast accused who have been pronounced guilty on Friday. One of the convicts, Feroze Khan has been pulled up by the court for wasting the court’s time and resources of the judiciary and the state. The court imposed a cost of Rs 2000 on Wednesday.

  • This Eid will be special for now acquitted Qayyum in 1993 Mumbai blasts

    Mumbai: This Eid is going to be a memorable one for Abdul Qayyum and his family. While they had a mini celebration at the sessions court in the middle of holy Ramzan on Friday, special judge Justice G A Sanap acquitted Qayyum, who had spent at least a decade at the Arthur Road Jail, from all charges of the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.

  • Sadhvi remains defiant before Par panel, refuses to apologise

    New Delhi: VHP leader Sadhvi Prachi today remained defiant and stuck to her controversial “terrorists in Parliament” remarks after she appeared before Rajya Sabha Committee of Privileges, where opposition members asked her to tender an “unconditional” apology.

  • No HC relief for Sanjay Dutt aide in 1993 bomb blasts case

    Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has refused to grant interim relief of release from jail sought by 1993 bomb blasts convict Ibrahim Moosa Chauhan, who is currently undergoing sentence for supplying weapons to actor Sanjay Dutt at his residence.