Al Jazeera channel carried out a sting operation which has found out that alleged that the pitches were doctored in three Test matches featuring India. The Test matches in question are India vs Sri Lanka in Galle Test played between July 26-29, 2017, India vs Australia in Ranchi played between March 16-20, 2017 and India vs England in Chennai played between December 16-20 in 2016. The sting operation was carried on one of the Mumbai Ranji cricketer Robin Morris.
The Al Jazeera television network claimed that Robin Morris admitted about his involvement in bribing a groundsman at Galle last year to alter the pitch. As per the reports, Morris has disconnected his mobile number and has also deleted his Facebook account. For those who don’t know, here we see who Robin Morris is:
- Robin Morris, an all-rounder made name for himself while playing in school cricket for famous Shardashram High School under coach Ramakant Achrekar. After his natural transition, Robin went on to play 42 first-class matches and 51 List A matches. In the first-class matches, Robin scored 1358 runs and grabbed 76 wickets.
- He played his last first-class game for Mumbai in 2004 Irani Cup match against Rest of India where he grabbed a six-wicket haul in the first innings. However, during that match, he landed on his shoulder badly which he had to be operated and since then he didn’t play first-class cricket. He was 27 then.
- In 2007, he played his last game for Mumbai at the West Zone Inter-State T20 tournament where he opened with Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma played at No 3. Later he played in Indian Cricket League but soon his career ended. The league got embroiled in controversy and some players including Morris quit the tournament.
- It was at the same time, that Morris quit his well-payed job at Bharat Petroleum. However, there were different versions of him quitting the job. As per one of his former Mumbai teammates, the reason was that he demanded to work full-time after his first-class career was over.
- Last month on April 9, he started a cricket coaching clinic at a small ground at Seven Bungalows near Versova Welfare High School and Junior College, a friend of his revealed.