Free Press Journal

Crestfallen Djokovic vows to comeback stronger after Wimbledon blow

FOLLOW US:

novak djokovicTOPSHOT - Serbia's Novak Djokovic reacts while playing US player Sam Querrey during their men's singles third round match on the sixth day of the 2016 Wimbledon Championships at The All England Lawn Tennis Club in Wimbledon, southwest London, on July 2, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / GLYN KIRK / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE

Johannesburg: World number one Novak Djokovic has vowed to come back stronger than ever after suffering one of the Wimbledon’s shocking upsets at the hands of America’s Sam Querrey.

Djokovic’s hopes of securing a calendar Grand Slam were dented after he suffered a 6-7 (6-8), 1-6, 6-3, 6-7 (5-7) defeat against his American opponent in the rain-hit third-round contest.

It was dreadful moment for the Serbian, who had won all the last four majors and did manage to reach at least the quarter-finals of each of the previous 28 Grand Slams.


Following the defeat, Djokovic said that it was disappointing to lose the match, but added that it was not the first time he lost the Grand Slam encounter, Sport24 reported.

Highlighting his record of four Grand Slams in a row, the 29-year-old insisted that he has decided to focus on his positives rather than the failures while vowing to emerge as a stronger player in future.

The defeat also saw Djokovic face flurry of questions regarding his strangely lethargic effort against Querrey.

Reflecting on the same, Djokovic said that he had been suffering from mental and physical fatigue following his maiden French Open title, which he won by defeating second-ranked Andy Murray.

Djokovic conceded the fulfillment of his long-held ambition of clinching four Grand-Slams was not enough to motivate himself at Wimbledon.

With the defeat, Djokovic has also made his earliest Wimbledon exit in eight years.