Free Press Journal

Raj Kundra, Shilpa placed bets in IPL matches: Police

raj shilpa RR

New Delhi: In sensational claims in the IPL spot-fixing scandal, Delhi Police today said Rajasthan Royals owner Raj Kundra has admitted placing bets on his IPL team through a bookie-friend and that it was probing whether his actress-wife Shilpa Shetty was also into betting.

Investigators also claimed Kundra (36) told them that he lost around Rs one crore in the past three years in betting in IPL matches. However, police said they have no evidence yet to implicate Kundra in fixing matches.

Shetty, Rajasthan Royals co-owner, denied the allegations on Twitter saying her involvement in betting is “complete nonsense” and that she has “never bet on any cricket match ever”. The tweets were retweeted by Kundra.

Kundra, a British national, was questioned for 11 hours yesterday after cricketer Sidharth Trivedi (30) told police that his business partner-friend Umesh Goenka (36) used to ask for information regarding team formation and pitches.

Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said, “He (Kundra) has admitted to betting. He used to bet on his own team. We have also come to know that he has lost a lot of money in betting. He used to bet through Goenka, who is also a bookie.”

S N Srivastava, Special Commissioner (Special Cell), said Goenka in his statement before a magistrate informed that he used to place bets for Kundra besides making a reference to Shetty that she also placed bets “once”.

“During questioning, Kundra has mentioned that he was placing bets for the last three years and the amount that he lost, all put together, was to be around Rs one crore,” he said.

“It is in the statement (of Goenka that Shetty placed bets). We have not gone ahead and verified it as of now. But then we are in the process of verification,” he said.

Srivastava said he cannot give a timeline on when Kundra will be called again.

In Kolkata, Jagmohan Dalmiya, chief of the interim BCCI arrangement, said that the Kundra issue will be discussed at the BCCI emergency meeting on June 10 in New Delhi.

The prosecutor also asked that it is in evidence that on February 4, 2010, he led police personnel to Gang Nehar in Bulandsehar, UP and pointed out the place where he had thrown a revolver with which he is said to have fired at Sharma but the same could not be recovered.

“It is incorrect. Neither did I lead the police party to Bulandhsehar not pointed out any place and false documents were prepared by the police,” he replied.

Earlier, on Shahzad’s plea for calling defence witness, the court had issued production warrant for Mohd Saif and Zeeshan, both lodged in Sabarmati jail in Ahmedabad in connection with the serial blasts of July 26, 2008 there.

The duo will appear tomorrow via video-conferencing due to security concerns.

According to the charge sheet, Mohd Saif was also present in the flat in which the encounter took place.

The police team is said to have reached the flat during its probe in the 2008 Delhi serial blasts where a series of explosions were executed at Karol Bagh, Connaught Place, Greater Kailash and India Gate killing 26 and injuring 133.

Shahzad had allegedly escaped from the flat in Jamia Nagar during the encounter. The charge sheet says Mohd Saif had surrendered peacefully and had disclosed the names of the escapees as Shahzad and one other named Junaid. While Shahzad was arrested later, Junaid was declared a proclaimed offender.

Shahzad is the lone accused facing trial in connection with the shoot-out in which Special Cell inspector M C Sharma had lost his life.

Other accused named in the charge sheet are Mohd Atif Ameen alias Bashir and Mohd Sajid. Both of them were shot down in the encounter.