Pune: The famous mandal Shrimant Dagdusheth Halwai Sarvajanik Ganpati Trust, in Pune, will be celebrating 125 years. The 4.5 feet idol of Ganesh is known as ‘ichchapurti’ ganesh in the city.
On the occasion of Ganesh festival, Mamta Sonar talks to President of mandal, Ashok Godse, about the Ganesha, theme of pandal and security among others.
1. The theme of pandal is Brahmaspati temple this year.
2. This year Dagdusheth Ganpati temple is celebrating 125 years.
3. The devotees donate gold, and whether it’s even 1 gram, all this we are using for Lord Ganesha. In 10 years, total 40 kgs has been collected or donated from devotees.
4. The gold is totally used for Ganesha, including mukut, clothes, modak, weapon and other things. The jewellery will be made by PN Gadgil and Sons with goldsmiths from Maharashtra, Bengal and Karnataka, who have been working on it for last five months.
5. The idol is 4.5 feet and it’s situated for 365 days in a temple. But, during special 10 days of Ganesh Chaturthi, we do staphana from where devotees take darshan of idol.
6. The insurance of Ganesh and mandal are Rs 50 crore. If any accident occurs, Rs 50,000 is for injured person and Rs 2 lakh in case of death will be given.
7. For security, a total of 150 cameras have been fixed in the mandal and outside also. In any case, we take care of it.
8. We have a total 350 mandal workers available to take care of devotees. And, around 1.25 lakh people are expected to visit the mandal.
9. The immersion of Ganesh will take place across 2 days, in which they take a miravnuk in Pune city and again the Ganesha idol stapna is done in the temple. They don’t do immersion in a sea or lake.
10. How to visit: Ganpati Bhavan, 250, Budhvar Peth, Shivaji Road, Pune, Maharashtra 411002.