Free Press Journal

Verdict in 2006 blasts awaited even 1-yr after trial is completed

FOLLOW US:

Mumbai: A year has passed since a special MCOCA court had concluded trial in the case of July 2006 serial train blasts, in which 188 people lost their lives, but the court is yet to deliver its verdict.

On August 19 last year, special judge Y D Shinde concluded the trial and declared a tentative date of passing judgment as September 19, 2014. But even after a year no judgment has been declared.

The prosecuting agency, state Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS), had examined 200 witnesses in the case against 13 accused, while the defence lawyers examined a total of 40 witnesses.


Asked about the reason behind the delay in delivering verdict, special public prosecutor Raja Thakare, who appeared for the ATS in this case, said the court must be ensuring that all the evidence and arguments of both the prosecution and defence is covered in the judgment and there are no loose ends.

“During the trial, we (prosecution and defence lawyers) submit a lot of evidence and judgments in support of our arguments. All that has to be perused and considered by the judge before passing judgment. It is a huge task,” Thakare said.

The trial concluded last year after a period of over seven years during which all the 13 arrested accused stayed in prison.