Mumbai: Shiv Sena today dubbed former Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju’s blog posts against Mahatma Gandhi and Subhas Chandra Bose as “publicity stunts”, alleging defaming popular leaders had become a business of his. “Katju, who did not have any role in the freedom movement, may tomorrow call Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru as agents of the British. He may also call Swatantraveer Savarkar as an agent of barrister Muhammad Ali Jinnah,” an editorial in Sena mouthpiece ‘Saamana’ said.
“Criminals like Chhota Shakeel come out in the media and give interviews to get publicity. Similar stunts are done by people like (Justice) Markandey Katju as well,” it said. Justice Katju, a former Supreme Court judge, in one of his blogs, had called “Gandhi a British agent, and Subhas Chandra Bose a Japanese agent.” Katju has insulted the freedom movement and freedom fighters by insulting Lokmanya Tilak and it is surprising that he is living peacefully inspite of defaming great personalities, the Saamana editorial said. Both the Houses of Parliament had earlier condemned the former judge’s remarks.
The resolutions were passed against him by Lok Sabha on March 12 and Rajya Sabha on March 11. The Supreme Court yesterday “prima facie” did not find fault with Parliament passing resolutions condemning Justice Katju for his blog against Mahatma Gandhi and Subhas Chandra Bose and sought assistance of the Attorney General and jurist F S Nariman in deciding his plea for quashing them.
- Pakistan vs Bangladesh Asia Cup 2018 ‘Super 4’: FPJ’s dream XI prediction for Pakistan and Bangladesh
- Supreme Court verdict on quota in promotion for SC/ST on Wednesday
- Armed forces must remain uncontaminated from sectarian appeal: Manmohan Singh
- Asia Cup 2018 preview: Bangladesh and Pakistan lock horns in the fight for final
- Supreme Court to pronounce verdict on pleas challenging Aadhaar