Mustafa Dossa, one of the convicts in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts and an aide of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, passed away at the JJ Hospital in Mumbai on Wednesday. He was admitted to the hospital after he complained of chest pain. He was one of the prime convicts of the serial blasts and was recently convicted by the TADA Court under the charges of criminal conspiracy and various other provisions of the TADA. In the June 27 hearing the CBI sought capital punishment for Dossa’s role in the case. During the hearing the prosecution demanded death penalty for him and this affected his health. He was reportedly suffering from uncontrolled hypertension.
Here are five reasons that prove that Mustafa Dossa was the mastermind behind the 1993 blasts:
- Dossa looked after the landing of arms and explosives used in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts that killed 257 people and injured around 700.
- He organised the first meeting at his Dubai residence to discuss the plot. It was this meeting where people were instigated to carry out blasts in Mumbai. Further, he also financed the stay and travel of the group.
- Dossa recruited several co-accused and made arrangements so that they have a safe entry and exit into and out of Pakistan. He also organised training camps in Pakistan and India.
- He was arrested on March 20, 2003 for participating in conspiracy and arranging of arms and explosives in Rajgad.
- During a hearing special public prosecutor Deepak Salvi called Dossa him the true architect and driving spirit of the blasts.