Free Press Journal

Mumbai: Fire in tony Cuffe Parade apartment kills 2


The dousing operation was successful as the building had operational equipment

Mumbai: A major fire broke out in a residential tower in south Mumbai’s Cuffe Parade area on early Tuesday morning killing two persons. The deceased were taken to the St George’s Hospital, while 14 members were rescued safely by the fire brigade officials.

According to the data acquired from the MCGM disaster management cell, “The fire broke out in A-wing in a residential flat on the 20th floor of the Maker tower in Cuffe Parade at 6.45 am. Eight fire engines, six water tankers and two ambulances were rushed to the spot immediately.”

While talking to FPJ, chief fire officer P Rahangdale said, “The flat was owned by Shekhar Bajaj, Managing Director (MD, Bajaj Electricals) and it was a duplex flat connecting the 20th and 21st floor internally with a staircase. However, the fire fighting operation was successful because the building had operational fire fighting equipment and we made use of them.”

“Before we could reach the 21st floor to carry out the operation, the two house helpers of the Bajaj family were dead due to suffocation and major burn injuries and were rushed to the St George’s Hospital.

They were identified as Ajay Ram (30) and Pradeep Vir Kundan (22),” added Rahangdale.

The fire was brought under control at around 8:30 am, however, the cooling operation got over by 9.40 am. The cause of the fire is not known for which the investigation is going on. The family has faced major loss of household articles, electric wirings, furniture, false ceiling, including others, informed the fire chief.

Sub- Inspector Anil Rajput of  Cuffe Parade police station, informed FPJ, “We have taken note of the incident and are awaiting the reports which will be submitted by the hospital authorities and MCGM fire brigade.”

Meanwhile, civic chief Ajoy Mehta and Additional Municipal Commissioner Idzes Kundan visited the spot to monitor the situation.

“We will be submitting the fire report by next week to the civic chief,” concluded Rahangdale.