Free Press Journal

Mumbai: 34-year-old loses life after falling off overcrowded train during motormen’s stir

FOLLOW US:

suicide

The Central Railway commuters faced inconveniences yesterday after motormen called for a protest which led to the cancellation of scores of trains. On Friday, it was just not about the inconvenience, as a 34-year-old lost his life after boarding an overcrowded train. He died after falling off a CST-bound train on Vashi creek bridge.

According to Mumbai Mirror, the deceased was identified as Satish Kamble (34) who lives in Nerul with his family and worked in a garment store. On Friday, when the motormen refused to do overtime, it led to cancellations of many trains. The train cancellations led to crowding at stations and in trains. His sister Swati told the leading daily, “Satish usually left for work at 9:20 am to avoid the first wave of the morning rush on trains. He followed the same routine today (Friday), but trains were more packed than usual.”

Also Read: Mumbai: 150 Central Railway suburban trains cancelled due to motormen’s stir

The incident took place on Friday at around 11 am and was found by trackside. He was later rushed to Rajawadi Hospital, where he was declared dead.  Swati, who is married, told the leading daily, “I lost my brother because of overcrowding. My parents were dependent on him. They don’t know what they will do now.”


The Central Railway motormen had gone on strike and demanded that the railways fill up 229 vacant posts in their cadre and also stop “harsh punishments” like dismissal from service for an offence called “Signal Passing at Danger” (SPAD). A meeting was held between motormen and CR divisional railway manager SK Jain in the afternoon after which the latter told reporters that the matter was an “internal one” and had been sorted out “amicably”.