Free Press Journal

Malegaon blast case: Judgment on Sadhvi’s plea likely by next week

FOLLOW US:

Mumbai: Bombay High Court is likely to pronounce its verdict in response to an appeal moved by Hindu right wing activist Sadhvi Pragya, the prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, by next week.

A Division Bench headed by Justice Ranjit More said it would probably pronounce its judgement on Sadhvi’s appeal by April 25 or 26.
Sadhvi, who is in jail custody for the past eight years, had approached the Bench challenging the orders of a special National Investigations Agency (NIA) court. The special court had rejected her bail plea despite the “no objection certificate” by the NIA that is investigating the case since 2011.

Also Read: Maha govt clueless about Sadhvi Pragya transfer to Mumbai

The NIA had also given a “clean chit” to Sadhvi in its charge-sheet filed in May last year.
The Bench was also informed that Sadhvi’s health is deteriorating as the infection in her breast has spread to her liver. “The appellant is already suffering from breast cancer and now the infection has spread to her liver. She needs to undergo immediate treatment,” said Sadhvi’s advocate.


Till now, the Bench has heard the arguments advanced by Sadhvi’s counsel, along with the counsel for an intervener, who claims to be a victim of the blast. Interestingly, the NIA and the Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) has not objected to Sadhvi’s prayer of bail before the HC.