Free Press Journal

Fire in basement of Thane school; no one injured


bmc, mumbai, mumbai city, mumbai fire, bmc record of mumbai city fire,Representational Image

Thane: Around 2,000 students were evacuated safely after a fire broke out in the basement of a school in Brahmand area here this morning.

No one was injured in the incident, said chief fire officer of the Thane Municipal Corporation, Shashikant Kale.

However, a notice has been issued to the school, Universal High School, seeking to know if it had the permission to use the basement and whether it had complied with fire safely rules, he said.

The basement, where computer and some other classes were conducted, was completely gutted in the fire, he said.

The fire broke out around 9 AM, and prima facie an electric spark seemed to have started it, he said.

Firemen and personnel of the Regional Disaster Management Cell ensured that fire was doused within an hour, and in the meanwhile around 2,000 students were safely taken out of the school building, he said.

Back To Top