Mumbai: Taking cognisance of the recent death of a school boy at the Hancock bridge, Maharashtra BJP has demanded a foot-over bridge (FOB) be constructed soon till a new bridge can replace the now demolished bridge.
In a memorandum submitted to Union Minister of State for Railways, Manoj Sinha, state BJP secretary Sanjay Upadhyay and party spokesperson Niranjan Shetty have pointed out that regular commuters and nearby residents after the demolition of the old Hancock bridge have to take a detour of almost six kilometres to come to either side of the old bridge.
The leaders stated that ever since the old bridge was demolished almost a month ago, so far 28 people have lost their lives while crossing railway tracks.
The death of a 13-year-old boy while going to school on the railway track between Sandhurst Road and Byculla stations on Central Railway on February 16 had sparked angry protests from the nearby residents.
The BJP said that the authorities have suggested the construction of a pedestrian FOB till the new bridge is constructed so that the nearby residents and commuters do not have to risk their life to go to either side.
Most of the times, children cross the railway tracks without the company of their parents.
They said Railway Protection Force (RPF) officials could be posted at the site where students and people cross the railway tracks.