Indore: India STEM Foundation, National Council of Science Museums, and Union Ministry of Culture will jointly organise ‘World Robotics Olympiad (WRO) 2017’. The key objectives of this Olympiad are to build scientific temperament and skills among students. The theme for WRO 2017 is ‘Robots for Sustainability’ also known as ‘Sustainabots’. Participation is voluntary and is entirely at the discretion of school and students. Students may be encouraged to participate in the event to learn and showcase their skills.
Sustainabots are designed to take care of planet, people and themselves. A Sustainabot is developed to change our world without affecting it, integrating the 3 pillars of sustainability: environmental, social and economical.
The creation of sustainable robots can help us to have sustainable regions all around the world. They can help reach the sustainable development goals. Though not all prizes have been disclosed, the website flashes a banner claiming ‘Rs 5 lakh cash prize’.
World Robot Olympiad has four competition categories:
1. Regular Category
2. Open Category
3. WRO Football
4. Advanced Robotics Challenge
A team may only participate in one category each year.
Age Group Definition
1. Elementary: Participants up to 12 years old in the year of competition.
2. Junior: Participants 13 – 15 years old in the year of competition
3. Senior: Participants 16 – 19 years old in the year of competition
4. WRO Football: Participants 10 – 19 years old in the year of competition
5. Advanced Robotics Challenge: Participants 17 – 25 years old in the year of the competition