An elderly person was killed after being hit by a recklessly driven garbage collection vehicle of Indore Municipal Corporation near Industry House trisection on Friday. The deceased was taking morning walk when vehicle hit him from back while taking reverse. The police have arrested errant driver and seized the vehicle on the spot. Investigating officer and sub inspector Nitin Patel said the deceased has been identified as Suraj Sisodiya, 65, a resident of Dev Nagar.
He was taking morning walk when a garbage collection vehicle of municipal ward number 43 hit him from behind near Kanchan Sagar Apartment at 7.30 am. After being hit by the vehicle, Suraj fell on road and received serious head injury. Vehicle driver Dinesh attempted to flee but he was caught by local residents. Later, MIG police were informed. Though Suraj was rushed to hospital, he could not be saved.
Preliminary investigation revealed that vehicle driver lost control while driving recklessly in reverse on slope. The police are investigating the case and examining CCTVs installed near the spot. After the incident, the police have arrested errant driver Dinesh of Nanda Nagar and registered case against him.
Previous accidents by garbage vehicles
The IMC garbage vehicles run in speed on deserted roads that lead to mishaps. Following were major accidents
1. May 13, 2017: Driver of garbage collection vehicle was killed while his co-worker was injured after their vehicle was hit by a truck on Bypass road. Their vehicle overturned. Deceased identified as Rajesh Namdeo of Jagjeevanram Nagar.
2. January 30, 2017: Class X girl Soumya Muchhal of Dwarkapuri crushed to death. She was on way to school on bicycle when recklessly driven IMC vehicle hit her from behind.
3. March 16, 2018: 29-year-old Mukesh, a rag picker was killed after a IMC garbage container fell on him at trenching ground in Devguradiya. His niece Gayatri received critical injury.
4. February 4, 2018: Four persons injured including two minors in Annapurna. Vehicle first hit a couple in Sudama Nagar, later hit a bike and injured two children.
5. A woman was critically injured after a garbage vehicle hit her while taking reverse in Scheme Number 78 few months back. Incident was captured in CCTV installed near spot.