Free Press Journal

Congress slams Centre for sleeping over Doklam 2.0

FOLLOW US:

New Delhi : The Congress on Thursday slammed the Modi government for compromising national security and strategic interests by sleeping over the high intensity Chinese military build-up at the Doklam plateau.

Its chief spokesman Randeep Singh Surjewala released a satellite imagery of the incursion, just a few metres away from the Indian Army post, as available in public domain to claim China was planning a Doklam 2.0 type of face-off.

“The government and the ruling BJP are so consumed in headlines management, false bravado and self-promotion that they have conveniently forgotten that this serious issue of national security exists,” he asserted at a Press conference here.


He said the latest satellite imagery suggests that the Chinese Army has not only built full-fledged military complex in Doklam, but it has also occupied the entire Doklam plateau right up to 10 metres from the Indian Army post.

“The new images show concrete posts, seven helipads, new trenches and several armoured vehicles close to the point where the Indian Army and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops were locked in a 72-day confrontation last year.

“There is at least one complete mechanised regiment and a strong possibility of another under camouflage nets. Two major parking areas have been observed for tank transporters of smaller sizes. There is also a very tall observation tower, at least 2-storey high, less than 10 metres from the most forward trench of the Indian Army.”

Surjewala wondered how the issue of tri-junction at Doklam would be decided in future in this scenario. “This is an all-important issue for Bhutan and even more important for India’s strategic interests vis-a-vis the ‘Chicken Neck,” he added.

He said the Congress always want the Doklam issue being sorted out through dialogue and diplomacy in the interest of all three countries – India, Bhutan and China – so as to avoid unwarranted provocation of conflict.