Free Press Journal

Bhopal: Midway through admissions, govt to parade ‘medhavi’ students before Shah

FOLLOW US:

Bhopal: Desperate to mount a mega show before national BJP chief Amit Shah, the government has decided to organise a convention of the student beneficiaries of its Medhavi Chhatra Yojana on August 20 in the capital. So far, 19,000 registrations have been made on the portal of the scheme. The government plans to bring 10,000 students to Bhopal. Massive preparations are being made for the event.

Admissions to institutions of higher learning are still underway in the state. Most students aspiring to enter engineering and medical colleges are yet to get admissions as the process of counselling is still on. But in the midst of that, the government has decided to parade the beneficiaries of the scheme before Shah.

Admissions in BA, BSc and BCom courses have been completed and mainly the students who have enrolled in these courses will be attending the event.


Under the scheme, the fee of the students has to be transferred electronically into their bank accounts; and there was no need to summon them to Bhopal. In some cases, the fee is yet to be transferred. Still, they have been called to the capital in the name of handing over certificates to them.

Sources said the technical education department had advised the government that the function should be organised only after the admission process was over. However, the state government, in its endeavour to please Shah, ignored the advice.

Technical education minister Deepak Joshi said the event was aimed at encouraging students. He said as the process of admissions in professional courses was still underway, only students who had joined general courses had been invited.