Free Press Journal

Poll violence in Bengal claims two lives, 330 injured

FOLLOW US:

Kolkata: Poll violence has claimed two lives in West Bengal and left 330 persons injured in 342 incidents, the Election Commission said today.

The latest death took place at Jalangi in Murshidabad district yesterday. Another person had lost his life in Nadia district late last month, OSD in the CEO’s office Amit Roy Chowdhury said.

Meanwhile, 17 police observers have arrived in the state to keep a watch on all 42 Lok Sabha seats going to poll in five phases, the first starting on April 17.


Roy Chowdhury said, “Police observers had been deployed earlier during the 2011 Assembly election in the state, but they had been assigned to only vulnerable and sensitive constituencies.”

He said that in a state-wide drive against illegal arms and ammunition ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, 981 illegal arms and weapons and 2,448 cartridges were seized.

Roy Chowdhury said the list of seizures also included 105.9 kg of explosive material and 5,013 bombs. Three arms manufacturing units have also been sealed.

As many as 24,990 licenced arms have been surrendered by the owners, while 2,800 licenced arms were impounded and 174 cancelled and 45,234 non-bailable warrants executed with 26,570 NBW cases pending, Roy Chowdhury said.