Free Press Journal

Kashmir: Two LeT terrorists killed in 32-hour gunbattle


Srinagar : A 32-hour gunbattle between security forces and two LeT terrorists, who hid in a building in Karan Nagar here after their attempts to attack a CRPF camp failed, ended on Tuesday with them being killed, police said.

The security operation to flush out the terrorists from the under-construction building in the heart of the city was carried out by a Special Operations Group (SOG) of the Jammu and Kashmir Police and the Central Reserve Police Force, a police official said, reports PTI.

The Army was not involved in the operation, he clarified.

The official said two bodies – along with weapons – have been recovered from the encounter site.

Ravideep Sahi, IG-CRPF, Srinagar, said the forces recovered two AK-47 assault rifles and eight magazines from the site.

The gunbattle, which began on Monday morning, came two days after Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terrorists attacked an Army camp in Jammu’s Sunjuwan area, killing seven people, including six Army soldiers. Three terrorists were also killed in retaliation by the Army.

Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kashmir, S P Pani said the terrorists who tried to attack the CRPF camp in Karan Nagar area early on Monday morning belonged to the Lashkar-e- Taiba (LeT) group. “The materials we recovered from the site of the encounter suggest that the militants belonged to LeT. But the militants have not been identified yet and we are trying to ascertain their identity,” he told reporters at a joint press conference with CRPF officials.

Pani said it was a clean operation without collateral damage, adding that it continued for so long as the building where the terrorists were hiding was a five-storey structure.

An alert sentry had foiled their attempt to attack the CRPF camp by opening fire on the terrorists, after which they took shelter in the under-construction structure in Karan Nagar locality that has both commercial and residential buildings.

A CRPF jawan was killed and a policeman injured in the initial exchange of fire with the terrorists on Monday. After an overnight lull, the operation resumed this morning.

According to the IG-CRPF, security forces conducted a comprehensive recce of the area and devised a strategy before launching the operation.

“We rescued five families of CRPF personnel as well as a few civilians and once the sanitisation (process) of the area was done, the operation was launched,” he said.

The paramilitary force, he added, could have suffered huge losses had it not been for the alert sentry who thwarted the fidayeen attack.

“In this operation, I think the credit goes to our sentry – a constable – who first stopped this fidayeen attack to enter the battalion headquarters. Had they entered, there would have been a lot of losses,” he said.

Back To Top