Free Press Journal

Judicial custody of ‘LeT operatives’ extended

FOLLOW US:

New Delhi: A Delhi court today extended till February 18 the judicial custody of two suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) operatives, who were arrested from Mewat region of Haryana in December last year.

Accused Rashid and Shahid were produced before Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash after expiry of their custody and the court extended it after the special cell of Delhi Police said that their probe into the case was going on.

The special cell of Delhi Police had arrested the duo in December and claimed that they had met two persons in Muzaffarnagar region after the riots.


With their arrest, police had claimed to have busted a terror module of LeT which was in an “advanced stage” of planning a militant strike in Delhi.

Earlier, advocate M S Khan, who is appearing for both the accused, had apprised the court that a letter has been sent by his clients to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde requesting him to transfer the case from the special cell of Delhi Police to National Investigation Agency (NIA).

The accused had said the matter required a “thorough and fair” probe as there were loopholes in the version of special cell.

In the letter, the counsel had referred to a speech given by Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on October 24 last year at Indore, where he said that “an officer of Intelligence Bureau had briefed him about the infiltration of ISI in relief camps in Muzaffarnagar for the purpose of recruitment of youngsters”.

“This matter requires a thorough and fair investigation as these two persons have been made scapegoats,” the letter had said.