New Delhi : The Congress is contemplating a grand show here on December 12 for anointment of 47-year old Rahul Gandhi as the new party president, a day after close of withdrawals.
It could be even a special session of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) that can be called at a short notice under Article XVII of the Congress constitution.
All those from the states, who wanted to stay back to celebrate Rahul’s final ascent to be the party president, were personally told by him to better go home and return only on December 10 for the celebrations. Party sources said these celebrations are planned on December 12.
No surprise, even after the scrutiny, Central Election Authority chairman Mullappally Ramachandran, a Lok SabhaMP from Kerala who is also the returning officer for the Congress President election, did not declare Rahul elected unopposed.
In a scrutiny report, he said all 89 nomination papers were found valid and “there is now only one validly nominated candidate, i.e. Shri Rahul Gandhi, left in the fray for the election of Congress President.”
When there is only one candidate left, he is automatically declared elected uncontested, but Ramachandran refused to do so, pointing out that the poll process is still on as the withdrawals are allowed up to December 11.
- Box Office: ‘Badhaai Ho’ minted Rs. 45.06 crore on its opening weekend
- #MeToo: Payal Rohatgi accuses Dibakar Banerjee of sexually harassing her 7 years ago
- Posters in Rae Bareli call missing Priyanka Gandhi Vadra an ’emotional blackmailer’
- Kalank stars Alia Bhatt, Aditya Roy Kapur and Sonakshi Sinha make airport travelling more fun; Watch video
- Confirmed! Kapil Sharma will marry his longtime girlfriend Ginni Chatrath on December 12