Siliguri: An elephant was electrocuted when it ventured into a maize field at Singhimari in northern West Bengal Sunday, forest officials said.
The male pachyderm, aged 6-7 years, was found lying dead in the field in Baikanthapur forest division in Jalpaiguri district. Wildlife officers rushed to the spot after witnesses reported the carcass.
Officials said prima facie it appeared that the animal died of electric shock.
“It appears the elephant stepped into the electric wire fencing put up to prevent wild animals from damaging crops,” said Sukhna elephant squad ranger Nita Roy.