New Delhi: The Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of the national capital today admitted in the Delhi High Court that there were mistakes in the electoral list issued by it for the upcoming polls on February 7.
The poll panel, in its reply to a petition alleging presence of bogus voters in the national capital, has said that it was rectifying the mistakes and was also trying to identify the persons who caused the error.
“Some mistakes figured in the electoral list and the same is being rectified. The rectification will go on till filing of the nominations by the party’s candidates.
“We are also trying to examine the causes of the errors and on being found, the culprits will be punished as per law,” an affidavit, whose contents were disclosed by petitioner’s advocate O P Saxena, said.
The affidavit has been filed in the court of Justice Vibhu Bakhru who was hearing the plea filed by petitioner Naresh Kumar.
Saxena also claimed that the CEO, in an around eight-page affidavit, has said that before issuing a final electoral list it will publish supplementary list and make corrections as per the requirements.
CEO had filed the affidavit in response to a plea alleging presence of a large number of bogus voters in various assembly constituencies of the national capital.
The court had earlier turned down his interim application for stay of the poll notification till January 13, saying it “cannot injunct the whole electoral process”.
The poll panel in its response has also said that they have called for a detailed report with regard to the allegations from the returning officer of each district.
It has further said that they were also trying to link the electoral names with the Aadhar cards, so that there are less chances of mistakes. The hearing in the matter is scheduled for tomorrow.
Kumar, who had unsuccessfully contested on a Congress ticket from Mundka in the 2014 Delhi Assembly polls, has said that during the course of hearing, the Election Commission of India (ECI) has admitted that there were various mistakes in the Delhi electoral rolls and they were revising these.
“That even in the revised electoral rolls published on January 5, there are still 10,000 to 20,000 bogus voters in Mundka constituency…
“The presence of such large number of bogus voters will affect the electoral process and those who have manipulated the voter’s list by including large number of bogus voters may get undue advantage,” senior advocate Rakesh Tiku, who appeared for Kumar, had said.
Earlier, the court had pulled up the Election Commission here asking what action it has taken on allegations about the presence of a large number of bogus voters in various assembly constituencies of the capital.
The counsel for Kumar had told the court that till date the poll panel has not made changes to sort out discrepancies pointed out by the court and in the Rajender Nagar assembly constituency, it was found that a photo of a leading film star was pasted against a voter’s name.
“… At least 58,000 cases of wrong photo image of the voters have been noticed by the ECI itself and the commission is taking steps to remove these names from the voter’s list. Thus it is admitted case that there are large number of bogus voters in the electoral rolls,” the plea had said.
The petitioner has sought a direction to delete the names of the bogus voters in different constituencies, including Mundka here which itself has over 41,000 such forged card-holders.