Free Press Journal

2010 Jama Masjid attack: Police get 10 days to conclude probe


New Delhi: A court here today allowed the plea of Delhi Police seeking 10 days time to complete their probe against Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the September 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case.

“I have seen the application as well as considered the arguments advanced and my inference is that the application be allowed. Investigation agency is granted further 10 days time from tomorrow i.e. April 10 to conclude the investigation against both accused,” Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash said.

The order came on a plea filed by Special Cell of Delhi Police in which it sought 10 days time to conclude the probe against Yasin and Akhtar, saying wanted accused Zia-ur-Rehman alias Waqas has been recently arrested and he was required to be interrogated to establish the “missing links”.

“He (Waqas) has to be arrested in this case. With the arrest of this wanted terrorist, the missing links in the conspiracy are likely to be established which requires that period of investigation and judicial custody of these accused persons (Yasin and Akhtar) be extended,” the police said.

It also said the reports of e-mails and ID chats used by Yasin and Akhtar have been sought from Yahoo and Nimbuzz and they were still awaited. It said forensic report of laptops and mobiles recovered from the accused was also awaited.

On September 19, 2010, two bikers had fired on tourists at the gate of Jama Masjid in Old Delhi area and two Taiwanese nationals– Ku-Ze-Wei and Ko-Chiange — had sustained bullet injuries. There was also a mild explosion of a bomb fitted in a car parked in the area.

Yasin and Akhtar are presently in Maharashtra after the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) Mumbai had taken their custody in connection with the cases lodged against them there.

They both were wanted for their alleged roles in a string of terror attacks across the country.

Yasin and Akhtar were arrested by National Investigation Agency from Indo-Nepal border on the night of August 28, last year.