Ranchi: As the security forces stepped up anti-Maoist operation in Jharkhand ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, three securitymen and a civilian driver were injured in violence and nine suspected Maoists were arrested in separate districts of Jharkhand today.
“Murhu police station in-charge P K Jha, a constable and the civilian driver were going in a car to Potna village in Khunti district when the vehicle ran over a landmine, injuring the them,” Khunti Superintendent of Police Anish Gupta told PTI.
“The injured were out of danger. It appears People’s Liberation Front of India ultras were behind it,” he added.
DIG Praveen Kumar Singh had earlier said all the injured were policemen.
In the second incident, security forces clashed with a group headed by former Maoist, Krishna Bhuyan alias Krishna Dehati, at Khetrawarpahar in Garhwa district, exchanging gunfire for about two hours from 4 AM.
“A jawan of Jharkhand Armed Police, Abdul Satar, suffered bullet injury in his neck. He is admitted to a private hospital in Ranchi,” Garhwa SP S K Jha said.
Claiming that at least one Maoist from the group had suffered bullet injuries during the operation, the SP said the former Maoist had formed his own group and was engaged in extortion. In another incident, CRPF personnel and Maoist ultras exchanged gunfire in the dense forest of Lugupahar near Jhumra Hill under Lalpania police station, IG (Bokaro) Laxman Prasad Singh said.
“There was no casualty on any side,” he said.
Jamshedpur SP Madan Mohan Lal said nine suspected Maoists, including four women, were caught last night by security personnel during an operation in Maoist-affected Dalma hill area in under Chandil police station of Seraikela-Kharswan district. Cong to announce ‘strong’ candidate against Modi from Vadodara New Delhi, March 25 (PTI) Congress will announce a new candidate from Vadodara against Narendra Modi after Narendra Rawat, who was elected in the primaries today, withdrew his name to enable party to put up a strong contender against BJP’s PM nominee.
“Narendra Rawat has retired from the contest following BJP’s announcement to field Modi from Vadodara. He has requested me to convey to the party command regarding the decision,” AICC general secretary in-charge for Gujarat Gurudas Kamat told PTI.
The announcement came ahead of the party’s press briefing to release the sixth list of candidates.
Rawat, a local leader from Gujarat was named the candidate from the seat after he had won majority of votes of office bearers under the primaries experiment initiated by Rahul Gandhi as part of plans to bring fresh blood and grassroot workers to the fore.
Ever since Modi’s candidature was announced from Vadodara, there was specualtion that Congress will change its candidate from the seat as the party declared that the electoral battle against the BJP’s PM candidate will be fought strongly especially in constituencies which he is contesting.
The name of senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh is doing rounds for Varanasi seat against Modi and the party has made it clear that it will not vacate the political space by not contesting in favour of any candidate including Arvind Kejriwal.
Pawar mocks Modi, questions his ‘knowledge’ of history