Following footsteps of digitisation, the Indian Railways has taken a leap towards future and now have become completely digital. Earlier, it was a big task when it used to come for booking railway tickets, but while keeping in mind India’s digitisation dream, the Indian Railways now offers bookings and cancellations from its website. The Indian Railways have also introduced an app for its various services like bookings.
Steps to book ticket at IRCTC Website
- Register as an individual. Registration is FREE.
- Login by entering your user name and password.
- The “Plan my travel” page appears.
- If the From/To station selected by you are correct in the route of the train then :
- Select e-Ticket option.
- To find train list, click on “Submit” option.
- The List of Trains show the number of trains available for that route.
- If you wish to know the route and the timings, click on the train name under the “List of Trains” option.
- To get the fare, click on class available in the selected train under “List of Trains”. It will show fare according to type of class selected. The fare appearing is for a single adult Passenger and the service charges charged by IRCTC.
- To select the train from the train list, click on the type of class available in the selected train.
- If you will click on the class in the train list then it will show the train details with availability.
- To book tickets, click on “Book Now” button under availability option.
- Ticket reservation page appears; check whether the train name and the station names displayed on the top of the page are same as desired by you.
- Enter the names of the Passengers, age, sex and berth preference for each Passenger.
- The maximum length of names should be restricted to 15 characters.
- The ticket details, availability of tickets at the particular time and the fare, including the service charge, appear on the screen, along with the payment option Follow the instructions.
- “Payment Option” Select the Payment Mode and Bank From the Drop Down List.
- Click on the “Make Payment” It redirect to selected Bank Site.
- After successful payment and booking of accommodations, the User is shown the ticket confirmation details along with a “Print Reservation Slip” Button. On clicking the button ERS is shown with an option to print.
- The customer can subsequently also print Electronic Reservation Slip from the
- ‘BOOKED TICKETS’ link on the left navigation bar.
- Steps to book tickets on IRCTC Rail connect app.
One can download the app on Google Play and App store.
- To book a ticket in this app, one needs to go through registration procedure which is quite simple.
- Once the app is download, you get a registration page for signing up. After clicking on the page, you will have to provide details like user name, password, name, date of birth, gender, nationality, marital status, address and many more.
- After logged in now you can go ahead with the booking process.
Here are key things to know about Indian Railways’ confirmed ticket transfer facility:
- Railway ticket’s transfer request can be made only once.
- Such a request shouldn’t exceed 10 per cent of the total number of group members, said Indian Railways.
- Tickets can also be transferred to another government servant travelling on duty, at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train.
- Tickets can also be transferred to other students of recognised educational institution when the principal/head makes a request at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train.
- Tickets can even be transferred to other members of the marriage party if the head of such a party makes a request at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train.
- One can also transfer the ticket to other cadets of NCC (National Cadet Corps) if the head of the group makes a request at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train.
The Tatkal booking is a ticketing program established by Indian Railways. The scheme is used for booking journeys at very short notice. The Indian Railways introduced it in all forms of reserved classes on almost all trains in India. It can be made both by online and offline.
According to Railways, only two Tatkal tickets can be booked for single user ID in opening Tatkal from 10:00-12:00 hrs. Bookings for Tatkal tickets for AC classes open at 10:00 am and for non-AC classes at 11:00 am, a day in advance of the actual date of journey. Moreover, only two Tatkal tickets per IP address between 10:00-12:00 hrs. are allowed.
Agents are not allowed to book tickets between 08:00 am to 08:30 am, 10:00 am to 10:30 am and 11:00 am to 11:30 am to prevent cornering of tickets at the time of opening of Tatkal and Advance Reservation Period bookings.
To further make train tickets booking even easier and flexible, the Indian Railway’s catering service provider has even launched a mobile application named as IRCTC Rail Connect app, which helps customers book their train ticket in few easy steps. “Now, IRCTC e-wallet users can book rail tickets through its mobile app IRCTC Rail Connect,” IRCTC said on Twitter. Like other wallets — Paytm or Mobikwik — IRCTC e-wallet users can also recharge their wallet and use the amount at the time of booking rail tickets.
Recently, the Indian Railways launched a facility of transferring a confirmed ticket to somebody else by submitting a request at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train. According to railway’s website- indianrailways.gov.in, a person holding a confirmed ticket can transfer his/her ticket to family members viz, father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, husband or wife.