Free Press Journal

Mobs attack security forces in Kashmir Valley


Indian police fired tear smoke shells towards Kashmiri protesters during a protest against the civilian killings in Kashmir's ongoing unrest in the Batmaloo area of Srinagar on August 9, 2016. More than 50 people have been killed and thousands injured in weeks of unrest in Indian-administered Kashmir, sparked by the death on July 8 of popular rebel commander Burhan Wani in a firefight with government forces. / AFP PHOTO / TAUSEEF MUSTAFA

Srinagar: Mobs attacked security forces with stones in three districts of the Kashmir Valley on Tuesday but there was no major injury to anyone in the clashes, officials said.

Police said that barring three incidents of stone pelting, the overall situation was normal.

Also Read: Rajya Sabha to discuss Kashmir on Wednesday after opposition demand

“Except for three incidents of stone pelting by miscreants on police at Awantipora in Pulwama, Lalpora in Kupwara and Ajas in Bandipora, the overall situation in the valley remained under control,” a police statement said.

But curfew was imposed in some parts of Srinagar and Anantnag town.

More than 55 people have been killed and thousands injured in street clashes that engulfed the Kashmir Valley since security forces shot dead a rebel commander on July 8.

Also Read: Curfew, shutdowns continue in Kashmir

Police said some people assembled near village Chursoo in Awantipora and tried to block the Jammu-Srinagar highway by pelting stones on vehicles.

Security forces reached the spot and chased the miscreants away.

Also Read: Kashmir awaits PM’s balm, says Mehbooba

A mob of 3,000 assembled near Jamia Masjid Lalpora in Kupwara and started stoning the security forces.

“Some militants were spotted in the mob,” the statement said, adding that two persons were injured while dispersing the mob.

One of those injured in a stampede was referred to the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Science (SKIMS) in Srinagar.

About 70 miscreants pelted stones on security forces at Ajas.

Authorities on Tuesday continued restrictions in south Kashmir while heavy deployment of security forces was made at other places to maintain law and order in the valley.

“The restrictions shall remain in force in Anantnag, Shopian, Kulgam and Pulwama towns,” a senior police officer said.

“Heavy deployment of security forces has been made in Srinagar city, Badgam, Baramulla, Sopore, Kupwara and Handwara towns to maintain law and order.”

The officer said bonafide movement of the civilians including officegoers, medical emergencies and travellers would not be covered by the restrictions anywhere in the Valley.

Businesses, markets, public transport, educational institutions and public transport, however, remained suspended for the 32nd consecutive day on Tuesday.

Protesters during the night resorted to heavy stone pelting on vehicular traffic on the Jammu-Srinagar highway.

The government has requested the army to secure highways and corridors leading to the valley to ensure safety of travellers and vehicles.

Train services between Baramulla and Jammu’s Bannihal town have also remained suspended since July 9, a day after Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was killed, triggering widespread protests.