Mumbai: The Mumbai fire department today said the massive fire which played a spoilsport at a Make in India Week event here on February 14 was caused by defective electric circuit and stated the organiser Wizcraft kept LPG cylinders under the stage, despite instructions against it.
“LPG cylinders were brought in for creating image of Lord Ganesha with flames. The Mumbai fire brigade in its No Objection Certificate dated February 11 (had) clearly mentioned LPG cylinders are not to be used,” the department said in the report submitted to Maharashtra government today. Despite this, cylinders were stored under the stage and when the fire started they exploded, the 185-page report says.
“The likely cause of fire is…defective electric circuit (spark from the electric wiring came in contact with combustible materials underneath the stage) contributed by negligence of organisers/event management company by storing highly combustible material below the stage,” it added.
There were repeated directions to Wizcraft to follow the safety instructions given in writing, it alleged. “This act of the organiser, Wizcraft International Entertainment, shows willful negligence/willful flouting of the fire safety instructions,” said the report.
The fire department also said if investigating agencies such as CID or police come across some (different) evidence, then the “supposed cause” of the blaze can be reviewed. Massive fire broke out during `Maharashtra Night’, a cultural event, at Girgaum chowpaty (seafront) on February 14 during the MII Week. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis was present there at the time. The flames caused a damage of Rs 5 crore but nobody was injured.