Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalitha passed away on December 05 at Apollo Hospital. Much before being everyone’s favourite Amma, Jayalalitha was a popular Tamil superstar. Her journey from a superstar to politician is more dramatic than a movie. Though she was born in a well do family she later started working in films to support her family.
Over the years she has emerged as a real hero but lived her life all alone. The woman left an everlasting impression on the lives of millions of Indians.
Here are 10 lesser known facts about Jayalalitha, you probably didn’t know:
- She stood first in the state in her grade 10.
- Jayalalitha made her acting debut at the age of 15 in a Kannada movie, which was a hit. Unfortunately, she was not allowed to watch her debut movie as it was certified ‘Adults only’ and she was not an adult.
- As an actress she has acted in more than 140 films out of which 120 were blockbusters, but she always hated being in a limelight.
- In 1968, she has starred opposite superstar Dharmendra in a Hindi movie, Izzat.
- During her movie career she was deeply in love with actor Shoban Babu. You will be surprised to know that she was also caught red handed watching him through binoculars from her residence. In an interview she has also confessed of having a crush on Cricketer Nari Contractor and actor Shammi Kapoor.
- It was Marudhur Gopalan Ramachandran, also known as MGR, introduced her into politics. MGR served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for three successive terms and the duo has also acted in more than 12 films together.
- Jayalalitha was an avid reader and good Tamil writer. She was a regular writer in a Tamil weekly by the author name ‘Thai’.
- A young gardener despite scoring well in his grade 10 had to quit his studies due to financial issues. Later, Amma helped him to pursue his education in a reputed Engineering college in Madhurai. And today, he is working for Amazon.
- Her foster son’s lavish wedding was attended by more than 1,50,000 guests and holds a Guinness Book of World Record for being the largest wedding banquet. Unfortunately, this was also the downfall in the 1996 elections.
- It is also said that as a Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu she drew just one rupee as a salary.