New Delhi: A special NIA court today allowed the plea by Karnataka Police and remanded Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal in its custody till January 28 in connection with the blasts at the Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore in April, 2010.
District Judge IS Mehta allowed the application in which Karnataka Police had sought Bhatkal’s custody for his alleged role in the blasts at Chinnaswamy Stadium on April 17, 2010, hours before an IPL cricket match between Royal Challengers and Mumbai Indians.
Police had informed the court about a magisterial court in Bangalore having issued a production warrant against the 30-year-old Bhatkal in connection with the case in which other suspects of the banned IM, including one of its co-founders, Riyaz Bhatkal, and Fasih Mehmood, are accused. Mehmood has been arrested.
Fifteen people, including some security personnel, were injured in the low-intensity blasts at Chinnaswamy Stadium.
Meanwhile, during the proceedings, Tihar Jail authorities submitted their report on the plea filed by Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar in which they have claimed there was a threat to their lives inside the high-security prison.
Both accused were kept in judicial custody in Tihar Jail in connection with various terror attack cases.
In the report, the superintendent of Tihar Jail No. 4, where Bhatkal and Akhtar were lodged, said, “A detailed inquiry was conducted and it is revealed that the accused had never brought the matter before jail authorities regarding any threats that they would be killed in the jail.”
The jail superintendent added that, “Both the accused are lodged in the high-risk ward with special security deployed there round the clock.”
Bhatkal and Akhtar, in their plea, had claimed that the Tihar Jail superintendent had “threatened” that they would be killed and alleged that the “attitude and behaviour” of prison authorities towards them had been abusive.
Meanwhile, due to the harsh weather in the state capital, Jaipur District administration today announced closure of all the private and government schools from class one to five from January 18 to January 22, a spokesman said.
The school timings of class 6 to 8 has been rescheduled to 10 AM, instead of the morning shift in the district.
Earlier the schools were opened on January 13 after a winter break.
According to the Education department, the collectors in all the 33 districts are empowered to take decision on closing schools as per the weather conditions.