Opposition party lead by Sonai Gandhi had declared Meira Kumar as Presidential candidate for the election against Ram Nath Kovind. Meira Kumar is 72.
Here are the unknown facts about Meira Kumar
- Meira Kumar was born in Bihar, Patna in 1945
- She has an MA and LLB degree along with an advanced diploma in Spanish
- She is the daughter of former deputy prime minister late Jagjivan Ram, a Dalit leader.
- She also worked at High Commission of India in London.
- In her first election she defeated the political heavyweights such as Ram Vilas Paswan and Mayawati. Both Vilas and Mayawati are also dalit leaders.
- She was member of the eighth, eleventh and twelfth Lok Sabhas from Karol Bagh in Delhi.
- She was appointed as Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment in 2004 under the leadership of Dr Manmohan Singh.
- From 2009 to 2014, Kumar served as Lok Sabha Speaker, thereby becoming the first woman speaker of the country.
- Besides politics, Kumar actively works for social reforms and human rights.
- She is married to Manjul Kumar, a lawyer, and has four children.