- External application of lukewarm onion juice as an ear and nasal drop (4 drops) quickly relieves earache and common cold, respectively.
- Keeping an onion in the pocket or wearing it around the neck prevents heat stroke.
- To prevent airborne bacterial and viral infections in children, tie 8-10 onions in a cloth bag and hang it outside the house.
- In chicken pox, one teaspoon of onion juice mixed with 2-3 pounded black peppercorns, taken 2-3 times a day for a few days is beneficial. This also wards off marks on the skin after the pox.
- Tying a cloth soaked in the warm juice of an unripe onion quickly relieves painful furuncles, enhances suppuration and easily expels pus.
- Drinking onion juice mixed with lemon juice and salt quickly relieves abdominal pain.
- Eating a vegetable stew prepared from inner pulp of aloe vera plant alleviates arthritis, diseases caused due to vitiated Vata, abdominal and hepatic diseases.
- Aloe vera gel or juice externally applied on cuts or burns prevents blister formation, stops bleeding and causes quick healing of ulcers and wounds.
- Daily intake of 4-6 teaspoons of aloe vera juice is useful for relief from all abdominal diseases and general weaknesses.
- External application of aloe vera gel enhances the facial glow. It is also useful in fading freckles and acne.
- External application of aloe vera gel is useful to alleviate dryness of hands and feet.
- Regular use of one-fourth teaspoon of cinnamon powder with 1 teaspoon of honey strengthens the immune system and relieves sinusitis and severe cold.
- Mix two teaspoons of honey with carrot juice and take it regularly. This improves eyesight. In cold, cough and congestion, mix two teaspoons of honey with an equal quantity of ginger juice and have it frequently.
- A mixture of black pepper powder, honey and ginger juice in equal quantities, when consumed thrice daily, helps to relieve the symptoms of bronchial asthma.
- Regular use of one teaspoon of garlic juice with two teaspoons of honey helps to control blood pressure.
- One glass of warm water with two teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon of lemon juice taken early in the morning increases metabolism and ‘burns fat’ and also purifies the blood.
- Consuming one teaspoon of honey daily helps to lead a long and healthy life.
Also Read: Home remedies from the kitchen pharmacy
- Intake of the brew prepared from 2-3 gm cinnamon and 2-3 gm cloves boiled in water is very useful for reducing angina pain and palpitations. It is also useful for viral infection.
- Powder prepared from cardamom, cinnamon and dry ginger taken with milk or water is useful to strengthen the heart. It also enhances immunity.
- Regular intake of one cup of fresh juice of bitter gourd, cucumber and tomato on an empty stomach is useful in treating diabetes. It is also good for digestion.
- Regular use of bottle gourd juice taken on an empty stomach is good for the heart and general health. It can also be taken in combination with apple juice. In case of common cold, use it after adding ginger juice or dry ginger. It also decreases cholesterol levels.
- In case of high body temperature, round slices of bottle gourd be placed on the soles of feet, provide relief and reduce fever. It should be followed along with the medicines that are needed.
- In cases of anemia, drink pomegranate juice mixed with apple and spinach juices.
- Eating papaya in large quantities relieves constipation and is good for liver.
- For good memory and body strength, in the morning chew 5-7 almonds, 5-10 gm walnuts, 5-7 black peppercorns soaked overnight in water.
- In the morning take 10 gm raisins or currants, 4-5 figs and 8-10 almonds soaked overnight in water. This acts as a tonic and is also useful in abdominal disorders.
- Ingesting a mixture of raisins and figs cooked in milk improves digestion, enhances strength and wards off weakness.
Health Horizons – An Ayurvedic Approach to a Healthy Life
The primary aim of Ayurveda is to promote health and prevent disease111. Maintenance of health depends on the condition of tridosa in the body. It was stated earlier that the dosas have a natural tendency to increase or decrease and become disturbed according to different times of the day and different seasons in the year. Therefore, to maintain the balance of tridosa during day and night and in different seasons of the year, Ayurveda prescribes appropriate health and lifestyle rules known as ‘svasthyavrta’ (an approach to a healthy life), which has two categories: Dinacarya (behavioral patterns and food habits during the cycle of day and night) and Rtucarya (behavioral patterns and food habits in different seasons of the year). A lifestyle modelled on these guidelines maintains health and protects against the disease.
Also Read: Unique Features of Ayurvedic Treatment
Dinacaryai Food Habits and Conduct during the Day Time
Ayurveda recommends that a healthy person wakes up about two hours before dawn. This ambrosial hour (brahma muhurta)(2} is considered auspicious as there is peace, purity, freshness and happiness all around in the environment. One should first think of God and pray, chant a mantra or meditate. This brings mental peace and joy. At this hour (during the Vata period), the body is free of fatigue, also one gets the advantage of Vata qualities such as lightness, exhilaration and freshness. They get infused in the body, mind and brain and last throughout the day. Whatever is memorized, is remembered and influences us the whole day. Rising early also gives adequate time for ablutions, yoga, exercise and other routine activities, which in turn ensures a disease-free and long life. Planning out the day’s schedule before rising from the bed ensures that all work is completed successfully and timely.
- Mumbai Railways Mega Block: Train services on all 3 lines will not be affected on Sunday, September 23
- 11 lakh rural poor families get houses under PMAY: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath
- When I was raped at 15, I only told my diary: Actress Ashley Judd
- Russians tried to help Julian Assange escape from London embassy hideout: report
- When audience is unhappy I get restless: Rohit Shetty