Today, January 4, marks the birth anniversary of Pradeep Kumar, who had passed away in 2001. Here’s five things you may not know about this princely looking actor…
- Born Pradeep Batabyal, he was just 17 when he decided to take up acting.
- He debuted in Bengali cinema, his notable roles being in ALAKNANDA (1947) directed by renowned filmmaker Debaki Boseand in ’42 (1951).
- Starting off with Filmistan Studios in Bombay, he played an important role in ANAND MATH(1952).
- Pradeep Kumar became very popular with his lead role opposite Bina Raiin ANARKALI (1953) and with Vyjayanthimala in NAGIN (1954). The music of these films remains popular to this day.
- He worked with MeenaKumari in no less than seven films, namely Adil-E-Jahangir, Bandhan, Chitralekha, Bahu Begum, Bheegi Raat, Aartiand Noorjehan. With Mala Sinha, he was paired in eight films – Naya Zamana, Hamlet, Baadshah, Detective, Fashion, Ek Shola, Duniya Na Maane and Mitti Mein Sona.