The versatile actor is all set to make his small screen debut
Actor Randeep Hooda is excited to make his television debut as the host of “MTV Big F Season 2”. He believes that the medium is a great one for actors to reach out to a wide audience. Asked about his TV debut, Randeep said: “I am excited. I am not nervous at all. I’ve been approached for many TV shows… Both reality and fiction shows over the years. I didn’t agree to do them as I felt they were not my taste. But I’ve always felt that TV is a medium which reaches out to a lot more people than other mediums. It’s a great thing for an actor to reach out to as many people as possible through TV.”
Not an easy choice
It wasn’t easy to convince him to do the show, which will go on air on March 12. “I thought I was not the right fit for it. ‘Big F’ and women… I was not sure because I had not seen the first season. Then the marketing head of MTV explained to me what the show is all about and the kind of stories they are doing. This is something which I also felt strongly about and I thought it’s about time to start conversations about things, about women – whether they are sexual or non-sexual (topics). They could be desires of different kinds. Desire to be somebody or to do something. It’s important to have this kind of a conversation. MTV is a youth channel and I’m still a teenager at heart, if not a child,” said the 40-year-old.
The show’s second season is set to bring sexually liberating tales through tasteful representation on the small screen. “It’s talking to women… to empower women, but it is also aimed at men. Their attitude has to change. ‘Mai karu toh stud, tum karo toh slut’ (if I do I’m a stud, if you do then you’re a slut) — that kind of attitude has to change.”
Randeep Hooda says his forthcoming historical drama, “The Battle of Saragarhi”, will go on floors soon after hitting a roadblock earlier. Rajkumar Santoshi’s “The Battle of Saragarhi” was supposed to begin shoot in October last year but got delayed apparently due to a disagreement between the producers and director over budgeting issues.
“There have been lot of ups and downs. But that’s a part of filmmaking. The theme of the film is ‘Soora so pahchaniye, je lade deen ke het, Purja-purja kat mare, kabhu na chhade khet’ (Only he is brave who fights for the cause of the poor. He may be cut into pieces and may be killed, but he should not leave the field),” Randeep says. “This is the saying of Guru Gobind Singh that they do not abandon the post (battleground). Similarly, we are not abandoning the film. We are going to make it happen,” he adds. The film is based on the battle of Saragarhi that took place in 1897 between British Indian Army and Afghan Orakzai tribesmen in North-West Frontier Province (now Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan). The 40-year-old actor will be seen essaying the role of Havildar Ishar Singh in the film. The movie generated curiosity after the “Sarbjit” actor shared his first look, sporting a turban and beard, from the film in August 2016.
Also Read: It’s all about comfort for Randeep Hooda
Prepping for the role
Randeep, who is known to get into the skin of his characters, had then started preparing for the role, including learning sword fighting, shooting with vintage guns and undergoing physical training. “The preparations are going on very well. It’s a very big film, we are trying to set it in a certain budget so the film is profitable. There is a lot of pre-production involved. I think we aimed too early to start and announced the film when the pre-production was not upto the mark,” he says.
Another film is also being made on the same subject by Ajay Devgn, titled “Sons of Sardaar: The Battle of Saragarhi”. Rumours are rife that a movie co-produced by Karan Johar and Salman Khan starring Akshay Kumar will also be made on the same subject. –Agencies