The government on Friday replaced Pahlaj Nihalani with songwriter-poet Prasoon Joshi as the censor board chief. Joshi was appointed with immediate effect for a period of three years or until further orders, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry said in a release.
Here are some facts about new CBFC chief
1. Joshi was born in 1971 in part of Uttar Pradesh, which is now in Uttarakhand. His parents were trained classical singers and his mother was a regular All India Radio roster.
2. Prasoon did BSc and post-graduation in physics and then pursued MBA from the Institute of Management Technology in Ghaziabad.
3. Joshi worked for the first 10 years of his life with Ogilvy & Mather in Delhi before joining McCann-Erickson, where he still works.
4. Joshi met his wife Aparna while working in Ogilvy & Mather. They have been married for more than 10 years, and have a daughter.
5. Before writing song for Bollywoods, Prasoon was writing scripts for Coca Cola, master card, Nestle and Happydent. The ads scripts are still remembered by the audience.
6. He started his Bollywood career with RajKumar Santoshi’s film ‘Lajja’. After that, he wrote for superhit movies like Rang De Basanti, Hum Tum, Taare Zameen Par, Black, Delhi 6 and London Dreams
7. He was awarded as Best Lyricist for the song ‘Chand Sifarish’ from Fanaa and ‘Ma’ from Taare Zameen Par’.
8. Joshi was awarded the Padma Shri in 2015 for his contributions towards the field of arts, literature and advertising.
9. Joshi has also written stories for films like Bhaag Milkha Bhaag and screenplay for Delhi 6.
10. He had also penned the anthem for the Swachh Bharat Mission. He has received a number of awards, including the National Award for best lyrics twice.