Kehte hain agar kisi cheez ko dil se chaho to poori kainath use tumse milane ki koshish mein lag jaati hai – This Shah Rukh Khan’s dialogue from the film Om Shanti Om, surely applies to the people who have been working hard to get a taste of success. However, it seems like Priyanka Chopra has taken this dialogue very seriously. After all, her journey from a small town like Bareilly to Hollywood is an example for everyone.
Actress Priyanka Chopra turns 35, today and on this special occasion, the busy actress will be celebrating her birthday with her family and close friends. Thus, on this special occasion, we’ll take a look at how a girl from small-town Bareilly became a successful global actress
Here is a recap of PC’s journey:
1. Priyanka was born on July 18, 1982, in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand. Her parents, Ashok and Madhu Chopra, were physicians in the Indian Army. Well, since Army jobs are transferable, her family moved to several cities across the country, including Delhi, Chandigarh, Ambala, Ladakh, Lucknow, Bareilly, and Pune.
2. Due to the constant transfer of her parents, Priyanka moved to the United States to live with her aunt at the age of 13. However, her US experience was not good as she had faced racism and being bullied by an African-American classmate. The actress also told in an interview, “I was a gawky kid, had low self-esteem, came from a modest middle-class background, had white marks on my legs … But I was damn hard-working. Today, my legs sell 12 brands.”
3. Despite her terrible experience in the US, the actress didn’t get shattered and came back to India. After seeing her daughter’s problem, Priyanka’s mother put her into modelling so that she could build some confidence in Priyanka. This risk turned out to be good for Priyanka as she became very confident and chose to pursue her career in modelling and films.
4. At the age of 18, Priyanka won the Miss World title in 2000 and made her parents proud. Since then, Priyanka hasn’t looked back and headed towards Bollywood.
5. After winning the Miss World title, Priyanka entered Bollywood and debuted with The Hero: Love Story of a Spy in 2003, which also starred Preity Zinta and Sunny Deol. Priyanka’s role was pretty small in it, but her face was recognised by many people.
6. After the first film, Priyanka went ahead to get a big break in Bollywood. And guess what? She did it with her next, Akshay Kumar and Miss Universe Lara Dutta starrer Andaaz (2003). Her chemistry with Akshay was much-applauded by critics as well as masses.
7. Later, she did a comedy film like Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004), which also did fairly well. However, her major breakthrough was Abbas-Mustan’s directorial venture Aitraaz (2004) in which she played an antagonist who tries to blackmail her employee Raj aka Akshay Kumar for her sexual pleasure. The film also starred Kareena Kapoor, but Priyanka’s role in the film became the USP of the movie, and made won her a best actor in a negative role at the 2005 Filmfare Awards. Interestingly, PeeCee was the second actress after Kajol who won the best actor in a negative role award.
8. In 2006, PeeCee further proved her mettle as an actress in the industry. She gave some commercially successful films like Krrish and Don. After Don, she was known as the Junglee Billi of Bollywood. Later, in 2008, PeeCee proved her versatility, by giving a National Award-winning performance in ‘Fashion’. Her portrayal of Meghna Mathur, an aspiring model who lost herself in the glamour of fashion made critics as well as masses appealing. After that, there was no stopping her as she gave powerful performances in films like Kaminey (2009), 7 Khoon Maaf (2011), Barfi! (2012), Mary Kom (2014), Dil Dhadakne Do (2015), and Bajirao Mastani (2015).
9. But PeeCee’s ambitions were not restricted. She made her place in Hollywood with American TV show Quantico in which she played the lead role. After getting this opportunity, Priyanka proved herself as a good actress there as well. Her role in Quantico surprised everyone, and made her the winner of People’s Choice Award. She was also invited to present an Oscar.
10. Other than acting, the actress also displayed her singing talent by releasing her album titled In My City, and collaborated with big-shots like Pitbull and will.i.am. Well, the talented actress also played the villain in the film Baywatch.
11. Apart from the above, the actress has also become a producer. Interestingly, while every producer is trying to invest their money into Hindi films, PeeCee is an exception to it and has been uplifting regional films. She has now produced films in the languages like Marathi, Bhojpuri, Punjabi, Bengali and Sikkimese.
The Priyanka Chopra story is an inspiration for women across the country now. From not having a godfather in Bollywood to making a mark in Hollywood, PeeCee has proved time and again that she is every bit awesome.
Kudos, Priyanka Chopra and all the best for your future work!