Bollywood actress Sonam turned 46 today. Sonam has always been getting popularity with her bold and beautiful appearances on the silver screen. Her song Tirchi Topiwale was indeed a chartbuster of the late 80s. In the 90s, actress Sonam shot to fame with her very first Hindi film, ‘Vijay’ which starred Anil Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor and others and was directed by, Yash Chopra. Sonam gained much popularity in her career but the actress sudden got vanished from the film industry.
So, on Sonam’s birthday, let’s take a look at Tridev actress, Sonam’s 10 unknown things –
- Sonam was born on September 2, 1972, to Mushir and Talat Khan. Sonam’s real name is Bakhtavar Khan. However, Yash Chopra gave her screen name, Sonam which later made her popular in the industry.
- Many of us don’t know that Sonam is the niece of actor Raza Murad and great grand niece of veteran actor Murad.
- Sonam started acting at the age of 14. After doing the first film, Sonam Kapoor did multiple films but could gain much popularity.
- In 1989, Sonam shot to fame with Rajiv Rai’s thriller film, Trishul in which she was cast opposite veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah. Especially, her Oye Oye… and Tirchi Topi Wale song which were popular among the masses.
- Apart from her dance number in these songs, Sonam was also applauded for her acting in her films like Mitti Aur Sona.
- Known as a sex symbol in the late 90s, Sonam surprised everyone by marrying director Rajiv Rai at the age of 18. After the marriage, Sonam decided to quit acting after working in 30 films. Sonam and Rajiv have a son named Gaurav Rai who was born in May 1993.
- Reportedly, Sonam and Rajiv had to leave India in 1997 after a failed attempt at killing her husband by International Don, Abu Salem.
- According to IMDb, Sonam did try to come back to India but Rajiv opposed her. Hence, she reportedly fought with him and came to India.
- After coming to India, Sonam and Rajiv were living separately since 2001 until their divorce in 2016.
- In 2017, Sonam got married to Murali Poduval.