Bollywood is nothing but a gamble of stars where every struggling actor or actress try their luck hard to make their position strong in the industry. Despite of having no Bollywood connection an actress that made it big in the industry, only because she had the support of Salman, even when he was not the star that he is today, was Somy Ali.
Somy Ali is one of those Bollywood actresses who is now totally extinct from Bollywood. Though she was in the news for her affair with Salman Khan, it didn’t help her in the career and she remained forgotten to everyone.
But, as you all know, we won’t let you forget her as we have brought some interesting yet shocking facts about Salman Khan’s longtime ex-girlfriend Somy Ali.
Take a look:
- Somy Ali was born in Karachi, Pakistan to Iraqi mother Tehmina and Pakistani father Madan. After studying at the Convent of Jesus and Mary, Karachi till age 12, she, her mother and brother moved to Florida.
- Interestingly, Somy Ali had a teenage crush on actor Salman Khan as she convinced her mom to allow her to move to Mumbai at the age of 16.
- Somy started her career with some modelling projects. During her struggling days, Somy got into a serious relationship with Salman Khan. Reports were also stating that Salman and Somy were all set to get married, however, due to Salman’s angry behaviour, their relationship started getting hurt.
- There were reports that in the eight years long relationship, Salman had once even broken a bottle on Somy’s head. However, Somy denied these reports by saying that Salman was against her trying alcohol for the very first time and spilt it all over the table but there was nothing like breaking a bottle on her head.
- Salman’s closeness with his ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’ co-star Aishwarya Rai affected Somy as she broke up with him in 1999.
- Somy also revealed that she had witnessed physical abuse at the age of 5 by a house-help at home.
- Later, Somy moved to the United States to obtain a degree in psychology. She attended Nova Southeastern University in Florida. After a successful university career, Somy Ali has evolved into a US-based human rights advocate and documentary filmmaker who is both passionate about educating the public and working to help solve complex global issues.
- Somy has been involved with woman’s rights issues in South Asia. As a founder of both ‘No More Tears’ and ‘So-Me Designs’, Somy Ali has raised awareness on immigrants being brought to the US, who are abused physically, sexually, and verbally. No More Tears has rescued 111 women since 2007 along with their children.
- In 2011, Somy Ali was honoured with the American Heritage Award from the American Immigration Council for her work with No More Tears, The Daily Point of Light Award April 15, 2015 by President George H. W. Bush and The National Domestic Violence Month “A Proclamation” by President Barack Obama for her work with No More Tears.
- Somy made her Bollywood debut in 1993 with the film ‘Anth’. She worked in around 10 films in Bollywood.